The Canadian Produce Marketing Association (Half Your Plate folks) hired me to work on a recipe and video series and I’m delighted to share it here with you!
This is a go to weeknight dinner at my house and for good reason, it tastes awesome, there is only one pan to wash and there should be enough leftovers for a couple lunches.
If stuffing peppers is more your thing, you’ll love the baked eggs idea featured in this Bell Peppers 4 Ways video (fancy but oh so easy!)
*Kids Cook Let your young child brush the mustard dressing on the veggies and the trout. Make it a ritual "job" for them. You may find they eat better when they help even in small ways like this.
- Follow our 3 simple steps:
- (ingredients are in bold)
- Place 1 can lentils (rinsed), 1 ½ lbs green beans, ends trimmed, 2 sweet red peppers, seeded and thinly sliced on large rimmed parchment-lined baking sheet.
In bowl, whisk together 2 tbsp canola oil and 1 tbsp Dijon mustard. Brush half of the mustard mixture all over green beans, peppers and lentils. Toss to coat. Sprinkle ½ tsp of salt and pepper over vegetables and lentils.
- Arrange 2 lbs of trout fillets, skin side down, on top of the vegetables and lentils. Brush remaining mustard mixture over the fillets. Sprinkle ¼ tsp EACH of salt and pepper over fillets.
- Roast vegetables and trout fillets in 425°F oven for 15 minutes. Sprinkle 2 green onions, thinly sliced over fillets before serving.
• Make a quick Buddha bowl. Add some grains (barley, couscous, quinoa, rice) and a vinaigrette along with any raw veggies on hand (grated carrot, spinach, arugula, baby kale). If you are short on trout, bump up the protein with a hard-cooked egg or pumpkin seeds.
• Substitute trout fillets with the same amount of salmon fillets. Follow the same method but increase cooking time by about 5 minutes as salmon fillets tend to be thicker.
• Switch up green beans with grape tomatoes or cherry tomatoes, asparagus, snow peas, zucchini or broccoli.
*All “Kids Cook!” ideas are meant as a guide only. You know what your child can safely manage. Make sure they understand your rules for safely working in the kitchen. Always supervise kids in the kitchen and have fun!
You may also be interested in: