The Canadian Produce Marketing Association (Half Your Plate folks) hired me to work on a recipe and video series and I’m delighted to share it here with you!
OK so this is not a Yummy Lunch club idea but I could not resist sharing this great way to pretty up your eggs in a bell pepper (see recipe below) and serve them as an all day breakfast option. See the notes below for some easy side dish ideas to round out your meal.
You’ll get an overview of how to make this plus 3 more terrific ways to use bell peppers in this Bell Peppers 4 Ways video.
*Kids Cook: Kids can load up the peppers with the egg, feta and spinach.
- Follow our 3 simple steps:
- (ingredients are in bold)
- Leaving stems intact, halve and core 2 large bell peppers (red, yellow or orange). Arrange peppers, cut side down, on parchment lined baking sheet. Bake in 425°F oven until slightly softened, about 10 minutes. Turn peppers cut side up.
- Sprinkle peppers with ½ cup crumbled feta cheese. Cut 1 cup spinach leaves (or kale or beet greens) into thin ribbons and place in peppers. Create a hole with spinach ribbons to make room for egg. Crack 1 egg into each red pepper half. Sprinkle eggs with ½ tsp EACH salt and pepper.
- Return to oven and continue to bake until egg whites are just set and yolks are still runny, about 10 minutes. Sprinkle eggs with 2 green onions, thinly sliced and serve.
• Add chopped jarred sundried tomatoes packed in oil and chopped parsley to cooked whole wheat couscous.
• Toast garlic bread in oven for the last few minutes while baked eggs cook. Spread toast with mashed avocado or mashed sweet potato and a sprinkle of cracked pepper.
*All “Kids Cook!” ideas are meant as a guide only. You know what your child can safely manage. Make sure they understand your rules for safely working in the kitchen. Always supervise kids in the kitchen and have fun!
You may also be interested in:
Lunchbox Veggie-Cheese Muffin Frittatas ( make ahead and freeze)
Easy Fried Rice (a great way to load up on vegetables)
Big Batch Tex-Mex Beef (add diced peppers)