I love this clever time-saver for making beef meatballs to tuck into the freezer for school lunches.
When lean ground beef goes on sale, I’ll happily tuck away these vegetable-beef meatballs into the freezer to use in school lunches for subs, soups, wraps, pizza or pasta. And now I have a genius way to get it all done faster.
Give this no rolly-polly step speedy square meatball method a go!
OK I’ve shared a time saver with you. Now it’s your turn!
What time-saving tricks do you count on to make packing healthy school lunches faster?
If it works for you it will likely work for someone else too.
Kids Cook!* With your supervision your child can wash, peel and grate the carrot and attempt a fine dice with the onions too –get the swim goggles out! Remind your child to set a damp tea towel beneath the cutting board to prevent it from slipping on the counter.
- 2 lb (1 kg) lean ground beef
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup (250 mL) dry bread crumbs (preferably whole wheat)
- ⅔ cup (150 mL) EACH finely grated carrot and finely diced onion
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Worcestershire sauce
- ½ tsp (2 mL) EACH salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C) and spray two foil-lined baking trays with canola oil
- Divide the meat mixture in half. Form each half into a big flat patty about an inch thick and place one on each tray
- Press a knife into each patty to form a 6 x 6 grid that makes 36 1x1 inch squares but don’t cut all the way through
- Bake in 350°F (180°C) oven until a digital thermometer inserted at the centre of the pan reads 160°F (71°C) (about 15-20 minutes)
- Once cooked and cooled they break apart easily
- No rolly-polly step. Genius.
Tips for freezing meatballs:
• Lay cooled meatballs flat in freezer bags so they’ll freeze individually and thaw quicker too;
• Minimize freezer burn. Press air out of the bag before closing;
• Label with a “use by” date. For meatballs that’s within 3 months.
• Thaw meatballs in the fridge.
*These ideas are meant as a guide only. You know best what your child can safely manage. Make sure they understand your rules for working in the kitchen safely and always supervise kids in the kitchen.