The Canadian Produce Marketing Association (Half Your Plate folks) hired me to work on a recipe and video series and I’m delighted to share it here with you!
Finger food is always fun to eat and a bean salad filled bell pepper “boat” (see recipe below) is a clever way to work more veggies into your day.
Try the other filling ideas listed in the notes below and watch Bell Peppers 4 Ways for more tasty ideas to enjoy bell peppers (the sheet pan dinner is a weeknight go to at my house).
Kids Cook: School-age kids can be taught how to safely use a knife to prepare the pepper "boats". I find a quick demo then let them try while you supervise works best.
- Follow our 3 simple steps:
- (ingredients are in bold)
- Cut the tops from 3 sweet bell peppers (chop and reserve tops to use in bean salad). Remove seeds. Cut each pepper top to bottom into 6 “boat” like pieces. Set aside.
- Make the dressing. In bowl, whisk together 2 tbsp red wine vinegar, ¼ cup canola oil, 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced and ¼ tsp EACH salt and pepper.
- In same bowl, toss in 1 can black beans (rinsed), ½ small red onion, minced, 2 tbsp minced fresh parsley, 1 EACH red and yellow sweet peppers, seeded, chopped and reserved chopped pepper tops. Scoop the bean salad onto boats to serve.
• Pack pepper boats for lunches. Put pepper slices in one container and bean salad in another.
• Also try egg, tuna or salmon salad as fillings for boats. It makes a nice change from crackers.
•Go creamy. Spread boats with a soft cheese (goat cheese or Boursin™) before adding bean salad.
• Go salty. Sprinkle feta cheese over the bean salad mixture.
• Go sweet. Add diced mango to the bean salad.
• Serve any extra bean salad with avocado toast, pesto pasta or roasted spaghetti squash.
*All “Kids Cook!” ideas are meant as a guide only. You know what your child can safely manage. Make sure they understand your rules for safely working in the kitchen. Always supervise kids in the kitchen and have fun!
You may also be interested in:
Tandoori Marinating Steak with Roasted Curried Cauliflower (replace cauliflower with bell peppers)